Thursday 10 July 2014

My Perfect Oatmeal


I've finally remembered the perfect milk/oat/microwaving ratio to make the best oatmeal/porridge :) I totally forgot it after switching over to summer breakfasts last year.


1. Night before grate a medium sized sweet, juicy apple (pink lady, fuji etc. just not granny smith/red delicious) or pear (Packham or Shepard, not Bosc) into the bowl . Add 1/3 cup of rolled oats, 2/3 cup of milk (use a high quality soy milk, it makes a difference! I use the Calci-Plus Vitasoy and it is delicious). Add pinch of salt and 1tsp (or more) of cinnamon. Cover and leave overnight.


2. In the morning, put in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then stir it quickly for a bit. Then, put it back in for another 2 minutes and stir faster till it thickens a bit and taste. If you want it thicker, put it back for another minute and stir. I normally know it's right when there's small bubbles at the top and when the oats are soft and chewy. It thickens when it cools as well and I think vigorous stirring really helps it release its gluten?

Add: almond (or peanut) butter on the spoon or sprinkle some walnuts/flaked almonds, some vanilla/coconut extract, some brown sugar/honey. Oatmeal perfection!


I've also done this with a mashed banana and it tasted like banana bread batter, really delicious.



I found the milk and type of fruit chosen really impacts the flavour. Make sure you choose an apple/pear thats sweet and juicy and a creamier milk. I would also use a deep bowl to prevent the oatmeal from overflowing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment